Monday 16 November 2009

Rock Scissor Paper

I have been living in Seoul now for 6 months. 4 of these 6 have been spent teaching English in a private language acaedmy (Hagwon) in Bangwha Dong in eastern Seoul. I never imagined myself as a teacher and always consiously avoided doing the teaching postgraduate. I never felt i had the patience or motivation to stand in a class and try to inform these young minds ( I can be patronising because they won't be reading!!). However, as i sit here and look back at my employment history since graduating with my undergratuare and before, the majority of the work that I have done has involved teaching in some shape or form, now how does that happen?

Saying that, its not altogether unenjoyable. There of course is the cliched feeling when you see your students progress or when your kindergarten kids grow up before your eyes. Also, its mildly entertaining to live and work in a society that seems to be formulated solely on the result of 'Rock, Scissor, Paper'. Without too much exaggeration, such a primeval game can solve the most severe of conflicts in and out of a classroom. I wonder and often visualise what it could be like if the Korean heads of the North and South met and solved their grievances over a 'best of 3' ka-wi-ba-wi-bo session!.

Now that would actually merit a Nobel Peace Prize!

No comments:

Post a Comment