Monday 23 November 2009

“It doesn't matter if the water is cold or warm if you're going to have to wade through it anyway”

I didn't intend to steal the enlightened words of french philosphy but I find myself brimming with uncertainty as to my feelings of extreme winteryness. No matter how grim, its necessary that we bite on through.
I'm very much a summer person and to this fact have always denied the winter of my love and affection. The beach to me is much more appealing when you're not wrapped up in 4 layers of acrylic and your nose isn't on the verge of sky'rocketing off your face. Things generally seem much more accessible in the swealtery months of summer. Although I approached this Korean winter with an open mind, the constant warnings from fellow waygooks in Seoul about the miserable endless days of this season, breached my mindset and scathed my optimism.
However, in the early days of winter (and i stress 'the early days' as I may feel the need to retract statements in the coming months) I find myself developing a little affinity for a wintery Seoul.
Now, don't get me wrong, its not the chill that runs up your spine while sitting in class, nor is it the constant battle with correct footwear and foresight for cooler nights. Its the character and atmosphere that develops in and around people when the weather changes so drastically.
It doesn't matter if its cold, we still haveto live it. And when I ask any of my students which season is their favorite, more times than not, their answer will be winter.
As it stands, I'm enjoying the underfloor heating in my apartment, the yellow leaves strewn halfhazourdly across the path by ruthless trees, not needing an excuse to curl up on the floor and watch an old movie with a bowl of popcorn and the positively accurate portrayal of 'pub weather'.
Although it will get colder, kimchi jegae will still get warmer, underfloor loveliness will get more and more attractive and the blossoms in Spring will never look so beautiful.
All that said, the summer will be welcomed with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment